trikome: .com

February 15, 2009

A nano Review of the Korg nanoKey

I picked up a Korg NanoKey the other day from Guitar Center. It’s a MIDI keyboard, but is the same size as laptop keyboard and looks and feels similar as well. You really have to bang the keys hard to get the full velocity, though once you adjust the velocity curve it’s completely usable.

My biggest gripes are the lack of true mod and pitch wheels.  They offer two pitch wheel buttons which move the pitch up and down at configurable speeds, but the mod wheel button only acts as an instant toggle.. It’s not really a mod wheel as much as an extra MIDI button.

Regardless, it’s not bad if you just need a simple  and inexpensive MIDI keyboard controller.  I paid $54 out the door for mine. I’m interested in checking out their pad controller, the nanoPad as well.

7 Comments Leave Comment | Comment RSS | TrackBack URL

I was wondering what made you go for this in particular? All of the reviews I have read put this as the worst from the 3 micro controllers they ave just released. :s

Comment by compositeone — February 16, 2009 @ 5:05 am

I just needed a cheap and simple keyboard for banging out basic melodies and chords. I wasn’t really looking at the other nano controllers until I found out about the nanokey. :)

Comment by trikome — February 17, 2009 @ 2:16 am

I guess if you don’t need what the other ones do then its irrelevant comparing them, haha. I like the look of this thing though and the size is obviously very convenient. I hate having to to do the classic 90 degree turn to the right to play with the keyboard….

Comment by compositeone — February 17, 2009 @ 6:50 am

bought the NANO KEY today, to be honest….when i first got it, it looked and feeled really cheap! and yes! the keys are very similar to keys on a keyboard……However as for convenience, its the best thing ive ever come across, slots strait into my laptop bag! i am overall pleased with it and would asvise all to purchase

Comment by Mark Viollet — November 13, 2009 @ 9:15 am

Hi Mark

I agree; I’ve owned all 3 nano devices for a while now and the nanoKey is definitely the one that gets the most use. My biggest complaint is that the keys are noisy. I also broke one key off but was able to jerry rig it back on. The nano devices are great but their construction is a little cheap – I’ve broken the usb on my nanoKontrol as well.

Comment by trikome — November 13, 2009 @ 5:05 pm

Hi trikome.

I own a nanokey and yesterday a key dropped off. Could you help me see how to put it back in? What I have in my hands now is a black key, with a white plastic thing at bottom, plus a little metal thing which I manage to fix on the key, but comes off when I try to put the key back in the keyboard.
Can you help me?

Thanks a lot!
Matteo

Comment by Matteo — July 22, 2010 @ 3:41 am

I am looking to buy a broken nanokey cheap to have spare keys. I’ll disassemble one to keep it alive for awhile. Anyone want to dump theirs? We can do an ebay deal or otherwise using paypal. If I can’t find a broken one, I guess I’ll sell mine for the spare parts.

If I come up with a fix, I’ll post it here!

Comment by rb — May 15, 2011 @ 9:41 am