trikome: .com

October 25, 2009

Control Protools’ BOOM with FLStudio’s Step Sequencer

As folllow up on my previous post regarding using FLStudio as a MIDI controller, here’s a template so you can use FLStudio’s step sequencer to control Boom in Protools. Boom has a step sequencer, but it is limited to 4 beats per pattern and only 16 patterns. You can trigger the individual drum sounds via MIDI, but the notes are assigned in a somewhat random way. This template makes it much easier to program in grooves longer than 4 beats and also arrange various patterns.

This template uses the Protools 8 Dashboard and needs a virtual midi cable installed to work properly.. it’s set up to use Port 1 of FLStudio. Unzip into a folder inside of FLStudio\Data\Projects\Templates\

Download Boom Step Sequencer
Downloaded 688 times

Don’t own FLStudio? Save 10% off the purchase price. The features required to control Boom are in all versions of FLStudio.

7 Comments Leave Comment | Comment RSS | TrackBack URL

Thanks a lot for the FL tips and tricks with PT, they’ve been extremely helpful.

I was wondering though, is there any way to effectively use the step sequencer in PT as a midi instrument in PT? For example, having the triggers on the step sequencer show up as midi data in PT.

I’m trying to achieve a workflow where I can sketch things out rapidly in FL while still having the power and flexibility of real-time midi control and the overall mixing environment etc in PT, without having to resort to time consuming actions like recording a midi sequence as audio into PT or exporting midi from FL and importing it into PT.

I’d appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction.

Cheers!

Comment by east — November 28, 2009 @ 7:59 pm

If you route the MIDI coming from FL into a MIDI channel first and then into BOOM you can record both MIDI and Audio at the same time, or just MIDI if you like. It’s actually pretty cool :)

Comment by trikome — November 28, 2009 @ 8:04 pm

So if I input a pattern into FL’s step sequencer, I can press play in FL, and record the sequence as midi in PT? I’ve been trying to do that without success.

Comment by east — November 28, 2009 @ 9:47 pm

Are you able to control boom with the file in this post? If so, you should be able to record MIDI. You need to add a midi channel in protools and run the input from the virtual cable to the midi track. to hear the midi coming in from FL you will need to record enable the midi track.

If you can control Boom with FLS but still can’t get the MIDI recording in PT, i’ll post up a protools session file.

Comment by trikome — November 28, 2009 @ 10:08 pm

[...] User’s Blog for linking to trikome.com! Welcome AIR Users! You might be interested to learn how to control BOOM using FLStudio’s Step Sequencer, or check out other Pro Tools related posts. Filed [...]

Pingback by Trikome » Shout out to the AIR Users Blog — January 14, 2010 @ 2:56 pm

Hey Everyone! :)
Thanks for your hard work on this.
I just wanted to mention something I discovered while going through the tutorial tonight.

The template also works when rewired. So you have MIDI note control + Transport control + plugin control and in sync with Pro Tools!
NIIICE!!

I believe this is the answer to east’s problem above.

Comment by ~Jon~ — February 14, 2010 @ 2:24 am

I likewise think hence, perfectly pent post!

Comment by christmas gifts for men — March 1, 2017 @ 3:26 pm